24 September 2007

Ancient Music

Well, OK, not ancient in the strictest sense. But in the world of pop music, positively ancient; from the early 90s or earlier.

I wrote a post a while back about an old mix tape that I have held on to for a long, long time. I've spent some time listening to it and trying to figure out just who the various bands are. This is a listing as best as I can discover of all of the songs on the tape.

Unfortunately, there are a few that are NOT available from iTunes or any other source I can discover. DH tells me that yes, it is possible to get music from analog tapes to mp3 format, but the gadget guru does not have the needed hardware. Yet.

Without further ado, here's the listing. This has taken forever to dig up all the links and to track down the names of the bands...and I'm not done. There are still two that I can't track down. Which in the age of everything in the whole world available on Google is as irritating as heck. The song title links to the lyrics (usually) and the band title links to the band's website, if they have one, and a fan site if they don't.

  1. Hello~The Beloved
  2. Come Together~Primal Scream
  3. Candleland~Echo & The Bunnymen
  4. All Together Now~The Beatles
  5. Only Tongue Can Tell~Trash Can Sinatras
  6. Scarborough Fair~Simon & Garfunkel
  7. I'm Free~The Soup Dragons
  8. Unknown
  9. That's a lie (remix)~Too Much Joy
  10. Theme from Twin Peaks(no lyrics)~Angelo Badalamenti
  11. Laura Palmer's Theme (no lyrics)~Angelo Badalmenti
  12. Right Here, Right Now~Jesus Jones
  13. Hippychick~Soho
  14. Wicked Game~Chris Isaak
  15. Peek-a-Boo~Siouxsie & The Banshees
  16. Give Peace A Chance~The Peace Choir
  17. Deeper Shade of Soul~Urban Dance Squad
  18. I Saw Red (Acoustic)~Warrant
  19. Put It There~Paul McCartney
  20. Imagine~John Lennon
  21. Waterfall~The Stone Roses
  22. Then~The Charlatans UK
  23. Here Comes The Sun~The Beatles
  24. Elizabeth My Dear~The Stone Roses
As I've said before, just about my favorite song of the bunch is Waterfall by the Stone Roses, but there isn't much I don't like. Track #8, the unknown one, is one that I've spent about 3 hours trying to find the name of the band and the song title. I'm pretty sure it is Britpop, but I've had no luck at all finding any information. The chorus of the song is as follows:

every beat of the heart
brings me closer to the start
takes me further away from you
brings me closer to the truth



If you know who sings this, what the title of the song is, please let me know. It is going to drive me crazy.


If I was super tech-savvy, I'd post a playlist with an MP3 player so you could hear all this ancient music, but I'm not that cool. Plus can you imagine the bandwith that would eat up?

4 comments:

Dawna said...

OooOooo Scarborough Fair!!

Lucy Arin said...

yeah, ancient, right? There's a lot of really cool stuff on that tape. Once we get rid of my car...which I imagine will be within the next couple of years...I won't have any means to play the tape. :(

Unknown said...

I do trust all the ideas you’ve offered to your post. They are very convincing and will definitely work. Still, the posts are too short for starters. May just you please extend them a bit from subsequent time? Thank you for the post. slot online 24 jam

Unknown said...

This is a great tribute. Thanks for posting it
cuan777 situs slot pulsa tanpa potongan
cuan777 agen Pay4D resmi dan terpercaya